Siddique is smitten by Bollywood

Sunday, August 21, 2011 |

He is making his debut in Hindi cinema with the Salman starrer, " Bodyguard". In an interview, the soft spoken director who made the same film thrice, in three different languages, speaks of B-Town's dreams unlimited, movies and more

Third time lucky?
This is the third time I'm making "Bodyguard". In Malayalam, it was a superhit. ditto with the Tamil version starring Vijay. Of course, the Hindi remake is very different from the other two films. In Malayalam, actor Dilip plays a guy next door. In Tamil, Vijay play a macho character while maintaining his lover boy image. Both were also students in the college. But in the Hindi version, there is a drastic change in characterization. We had to keep Salman's image in mind. Plus, we cannot show him as a student in the college. But we have not deviated from the basic storyline.


Salman effect
Salman Khan is India's No 1 actor right now, a superstar. He's on a high at the moment with two super-hits. So yes, the expectations from "Bodyguard" are sky high. I believe that a film will work only if it is good. But if we put a great product out there, the box office collections will be great.

Not again
I was approached to direct the Telugu version of "Bodyguard", starring Venkatesh and Trisha. Initially, I gave it a thought. But after I started work on the Hindi remake, I decided not to direct the Telugu film. I've made the film thrice, another time would be an overkill for me. Plus, after working in Bollywood, where the canvas is so huge, I don't want to come down to a level where I'm restricted due to budget and other constrains. They have found a new filmmaker and I'm sure he will do justice to the movie.

A whole new scale
While making Malayalam films, you are restricted. That's because our budgets are very small. only 100 prints of our films are released. But in Mumbai, it's drastically different. There are 2,700 prints of a single release! The budget is astronomical and as a filmmaker there is no limit to your dreams. The kind of technology you have at your disposal is amazing. I felt like a kid in a candy store here.

I noticed differences in the working hours. In Malayalam films, we start work at 7 am and wrap up at 9 pm
because we have many constrains. But in Bollywood, work only starts around 11.30 am and continues till late night. However, the hard work the actors and others put in on the sets, in both the industries, is the same.

Another thing that totally amazes me is the promotional activity around a film in Bollywood. I have never seen anything like this before. in the other film industries that I have worked in. Here, the look of the actors is kept under wraps till the official date of promotion begins. The canvas for promotional activity is huge, innovative and very focused. It culminates finally with the release of the film and by that time, the buzz has reached fever pitch. I think a similar module needs to be followed in regional cinema as well.

B-Town beckons
I've been in Mumbai since Januray last year. After my debut Hindi film releases, I'll go back to Kerala, take a break and then think about my future. Of course, I'm in talks with many production houses but things are still in the pipeline. Nothing is finalized yet. Let's be honest, only if "Bodyguard" works will I bag more offers in Hindi cinema. Success matters in the industry and my future totally depends on the success of my debut.

0 comments:

Post a Comment